Pigmentation is a common condition in which patches of skin become darker in color than the normal surrounding skin. This darkening occurs when an excess of melanin forms deposits in the skin. Pigmentation can appear on all areas of the face including forehead, chin, cheeks as well as hands and other areas of the body. This condition is usually harmless.
Pigmentation occurs due to many reasons:
- Frequently exposed to sun.
- Pigmentation occurs more when the skin starts to age.
- Certain hormonal factors also activate the production of melanin.
- Genetic factors are also responsible
- Some medications such as anti-depressants increase photosensitivity of the skin.
There are different types of Pigmentation:
- Age spots, are sharply defined, round, brown or black, flat patches of skin.
- Melasma are large areas of dark skin and appear most often as a result of hormonal changes.
- Anyone can have freckles and genetics are responsible for it.
- Sun damage is also a reason for skin pigmentation.
At Dr. Mushtaq’s Skin Clinic clinic we use different techniques to treat our patients whose skin is marred by pigmentation.
- Age spots, and sun damage takes a toll on your skin. We at Dr. Mushtaq’s Skin Clinic provide our patient with a procedure called photo skin rejuvenation which helps freshen up your skin and also gives it an even tone. For this we use Intense Pulse Light (IPL) technique which uses high inteCosmetology Center, Kochi, offers best treatments for pigmentation problems at affordable rates.nsity light to penetrate just below the skins surface, damaging the melanin. Pulses of light are fired at the skin which turns into heat to destroy the darker skin cells. The skin will then scab or peel, and gradually fade leaving you with a more even skin tone. This procedure is non-invasive procedure with very less pain involved and patients can see faster results.
- Microdermabrasion is a treatment in which a hand-held device is used to blows crystals onto the skin. These crystals gently “polish” the skin’s surface. Then, a vacuum tube removes the crystals and skin cells. As just the surface cells are removed, the skin isn’t damaged. This treatment requires a few session of treatment.
- At our clinic we treat pigmentation with a new technology called fractional laser resurfacing in which we remove only a fraction of the skin by creating thousands of microscopic “wounds” surrounded by areas of healthy, untreated skin. As a result, the zones of untreated skin accelerate the body’s natural healing process and your skin surface heals in a fraction of the time it would require with full laser resurfacing. The treated areas on the other hand, stimulate production of new collagen, help eliminate pigmentation other irregularities. We have used this procedure in our clinic to give excellent results. Laser procedure is used at our clinic as it has:
- Less Recovery time
- Minimal Discomfort
- Excellent aesthetic outcomes
Chemical peels give the skin an even tone which gives the skin a vibrant and glowing complexion. Chemical peels can be used to treat a variety of skin ailments such as acne and dark spots and pigmentation. At Dr. Mushtaq’s Skin Clinic clinic we use a deep chemical peel called Glycolic peel which lightens visible discolorations in the skin. Glycolic acid which is derived from certain fruits and plants assists in the skin treatment by stimulating new collagen and skin growth while allowing dead skin cells to fall off naturally
It penetrates very deeply and quickly treating many layers of the skin at once.
The advantages of using deep skin peel are:
- Very effective in all types of dark patches or pigmentations.
- Rapid and easy depigmentation action
- Compatible with all skin types
- Light peeling effect
- Rejuvenates the skin
- Treatment can be used all year round
- Beneficial for acne patients
- Does not contain TCA
- High safety margin
- Brighter and more even skin complexion in only weeks.
Mandelic peel is also used sometimes to give the skin an even tone. Before we start the treatment we carry out a full consultation in which a full diagnosis of your skin is made and we also discuss the suitability, benefits and potential side effects with our patients.