We have all experienced dry skin at some point during our life. For some people it is a temporary and a short-lasting phenomenon and for others, dry skin is something that they experience every winter, or possibly all year long. Ordinarily, dry skin isn’t serious, but it can be uncomfortable and unsightly, turning plump cells into shriveled ones and creating fine lines and wrinkles.
Causes for Dry skin are:
- Skin is driest in winter, when temperatures and humidity levels go down.
- Taking hot, long baths.
- Using harsh shampoo and detergent.
- Sun-damage due to too much exposure may give a dry skin appearance.
- Atopic dermatitis is a type of eczema which causes dry skin.
- Psoriasis is a skin condition that is marked by a rapid buildup of rough, dry, dead skin cells that form thick scales.
In many cases dry skin condition can be cured by making a few changes in your routine. Moisturizing is the key for people experiencing dry skin. Moisturizer should be applied twice daily. Cutting back on the length of your shower or showering with lukewarm water will allow many to see a vast improvement in their dry skin condition. But if you have dry skin due to psoriasis then at Dr Mushtaq’s Skin Clinic clinic we treat our patients with a procedure called Light therapy or photo therapy. Phototherapy uses UVA or UVB rays which recreates the sun’s effect in a controlled, medical environment.