The term dandruff generally refers to the condition of the skin where small, loose flakes of dead skin separate from the scalp and collect amidst the hair. There are two main types of dandruff, namely dry dandruff and oily dandruff. There are many causes for dandruff:
- Sensitivity to, or overgrowth of, a fungus present on the scalp.
- Overactive oil glands on the scalp which may cause an increase of the natural skin shedding.
- Clogged pores on the scalp can lead to over-drying and flaking of the skin.
- Poor diet and hygiene, genetic disposition, hormonal imbalances may all contribute to dandruff.
- Some external factors like infrequent shampooing of the hair, improper use of hair-coloring products, cold weather or dry environment may cause dandruff.
- Dandruff may become worse with stress.
There is no direct cure for dandruff but one can effectively control it. At Dr.Mushtaq’s clinic we choose the right treatment in accordance to the cause of dandruff and its symptoms. Anti – fungal shampoo and anti-fungal creams are used when treating mild cases of dandruff but in case of severe dandruff problems we provide our patients with laser treatment.
The laser treatment emits light, which passes through the scalp and stimulates the dead cell, which results in the falling of these cells, and therefore results in complete removal. Not only does this treatment cure the dandruff but it supports the body’s own ability to heal itself by focusing the light energy to stimulate the cell. This treatment is safe and effective as it is based on the established scientific principle that light has an effect on cell functioning. Before suggesting this treatment to our patients we check your scalp condition, skin type, and physical metabolism as it is not advisable for everyone.