Dark circles are the darkening of the skin between the lower eyelid and the top of the cheek. These shadows affect both men and women in their adulthood. No one likes to have dark circles as it makes us look tired, exhausted, unhealthy and maybe even old. As we grow older, the skin under our eyes becomes thinner and loses collagen. This augments the appearance of blood vessels beneath the eyes and makes the area seem darker than it is.
There are various causes for dark circles:
- Excess stress
- Genetic or inherited factors
- High consumption of alcohol, caffeine or sodium
- Thinning of the skin as well as loss of fat and collagen in the area around the eyes
- Exposure to the sun for a prolonged period of time could also increase the production of melanin mainly around the eyes, which darkens the area considerably.
- Injuries in and around the eyes
- Eye surgery
- Facial surgery (nasal surgery or plastic surgery procedures)
- Rubbing or scratching the eyes too hard
- At our clinic we use different treatment procedure to help you get rid of your dark circles.
For removing dark circles this we use Intense Pulse Light (IPL) which uses high intensity light to penetrate just below the skins surface, damaging either the melanin that makes up brown “age spots” or the blood vessels that create broken capillaries. The skin repairs the damage, leaving you with a more even skin tone. This procedure is non-invasive procedure with very less pain involved.
Chemical peels give the skin an even tone which gives the skin a vibrant and glowing complexion. Chemical peels can be used to treat a variety of skin ailments such as acne and dark spots and pigmentation. At Dr. Mushtaq’s Skin Clinic clinic we use a deep chemical peel called Glycolic peel which lightens visible discolorations in the skin. Glycolic acid which is derived from certain fruits and plants assists in the skin treatment by stimulating new collagen and skin growth while allowing dead skin cells to fall off naturally it penetrates very deeply and quickly treating many layers of the skin at once.
The advantages of using deep skin peel are:
- Very effective in all types of dark patches or pigmentations.
- Rapid and easy depigmentation action
- Compatible with all skin types
- Light peeling effect
- Rejuvenates the skin
- Treatment can be used all year round
- Beneficial for acne patients
- Does not contain TCA
- High safety margin
- Brighter and more even skin complexion in only weeks.
Mandelic peel is also used sometimes to give the skin an even tone. Before we start the treatment we carry out a full consultation in which a full diagnosis of your skin is made and we also discuss the suitability, benefits and potential side effects with our patients.
We use injectable fillers to give our patients a more youthful look for a fraction of a cost. Most fillers fill lines and wrinkles in less than 30 minutes with results that can last from four months to more than a year. Injectable fillers or collagen stimulators are the latest weapon when it comes to fighting dark circles. There are many types of fillers now available to fill in skin lines and creases to restore a youthful appearance. Filler provide volume and fill under eye hollows. The most commonly used filler is hyaluronic acid which is a water soluble natural body protein; this is injected using a very fine needle into the dermal skin layer where they attract fluid to increase the volume of the treated area.
At our clinic we first advice our patients to make some lifestyle and dietary changes before advising them to go ahead with the treatment procedures mentioned above.